Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Christmas Letter 2014

image

And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased” – Luke 2:13-14

One year has passed since Christine went to be with the Lord. How do I sum up a year that has been filled with heartbreak over losing her and joy over knowing she has gone home, to the home all of us who follow Christ long for – our home with God? I am not sure I can, but let me mention just a few highlights.

I have been blessed in the past year by loving family, friends, and a wonderful church, including each one who will read this letter and who also grieve Christine’s death. Longtime family relationships and friendships have deepened for me as a result of our common grief and hope. One longtime friend who has been an encouragement to me over this last year has said repeatedly, “We will get through this together.” Many of you have demonstrated that sentiment without stating it. All I can say is thank you.

I ended last year and began this year with a two month break from my preaching and leadership responsibilities at our church, for which I am grateful. During that time and other time afforded me away from church, I visited family, returned to the church where I held my first preaching ministry, the first ministry decision Christine and I made together after we were married and a church where we have continued to have deep friendships, and I reoriented my life. I returned to preaching on February 2, and continue to carry on my life’s calling.

I was able to travel to a church planting conference in Florida and to the North American Christian Convention where I reconnected personally with friends I had not seen since Christine’s death. I also had occasion to speak at two retreats for church leaders about my journey on the theme, “Leading When Your Heart is Breaking.” Much more has happened that I do not have space to write about.

In early November, our daughter, Nancy, and son-in-law, Dave made their third mission trip to Nairobi, Kenya with a group from their church in Cincinnati. They are both engaged in ongoing work with the mission in Kenya and Dave is extending that work into other parts of Africa through his new mission, Africa Fire Mission. I am looking forward to when I will have an opportunity to go to Kenya with them.

On December 6 and 7, one year after Christine’s accident and death, Nancy, Dave, and I hosted an open house for family, friends and church members, and we held a special worship service on Sunday. Several of our family traveled to Madison for the weekend, including my sisters Karen and Connie, Connie’s husband, Doug, my brother, Tom, and his wife and their two sons, Christine’s sister, Susan, and her husband, and one niece. Christine’s and my longtime friend, Bud Clapp, came to preach for us that Sunday.

Among the things that Christine had on our refrigerator when she died was a scripture quotation from Psalm 73:23-26 that reaffirms everything she lived for: “Nevertheless I am continually with you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My heart and my flesh may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.”

I trust you and your family will have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, and trust you will have a wonderful year in 2015.

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment